President at Birmingham Bound
Birmingham Bound was founded at Shipt in 2018 as an initiative to recruit technology companies to open their headquarters or subsequent offices in Birmingham and grow the tech ecosystem. To date, the program has recruited more than 20 companies to Birmingham, and helped those companies grow and scale by connecting them to our tech-forward, entrepreneurial, and obnoxiously supportive community. Birmingham Bound’s recruitment and support of new-to-Birmingham technology companies has contributed to the overall growth of Birmingham’s technology sector, the business community, and the local economy.
Building on this success, Birmingham Bound’s leaders, corporate sponsors, and community partners are ready to take our work to the next level, by transitioning this beloved community initiative into an independent 501(c)(3) organization. Birmingham Bound also plans to expand its work to include an intentional focus on recruiting underrepresented founders and inclusive companies to Birmingham and cultivating a welcoming and supportive culture for all entrepreneurs.
Birmingham Bound exists to make our city the place to grow and scale a tech company. We work to bring these tech companies to Birmingham, and we help existing companies continue to thrive by connecting them with key leaders and innovators in our tech-forward, entrepreneurial, and obnoxiously supportive community.
About the Role
Birmingham Bound is seeking a founding President to take the newly formed nonprofit organization to the next level. The team will initially be small and mighty, with the President operating as an individual contributor role. Once Birmingham Bound has established a strategic plan and approach, it is expected they will build out the needed team to help grow a world-class organization.
What You’ll Do:
Organization Mission & Strategy:
- Create and execute a strategy to foster, incentivize, and attract new technology companies and jobs to Birmingham, with an intentional focus on attracting underrepresented founders and diverse technology companies.
- Set and manage clear programmatic, operational, and financial goals while adapting to
changes in internal and external environments.
- Finalize an organizational budget and operational plans to execute the strategy and
goals of the organization.
Stakeholder Development and Management:
- Serve as the public face of Birmingham Bound and seek to increase awareness of the organization’s mission and vision; be visible in the Birmingham tech scene.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders and champions, including Board of Directors, funding community, city leaders, and community members.
- Communicate Birmingham Bound’s vision and goals in a way that ensures understanding and commitment from a diverse community of stakeholders.
Organization Leadership and Management:
- Ensure that the organization has a viable long-term financial plan and a diversified and sustainable funding base in collaboration with the Board of Directors.
- Lead fundraising efforts by identifying, cultivating, and soliciting public, individual, and
foundation sources of giving.
- Oversee operating budget and all other financial and accounting operations.
- Ensure effective systems to track progress, and regularly evaluate program components, to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the Board of Directors, funders, and other constituents.
What You’ll Need:
Minimum 5 years of experience in the technology, startup, or entrepreneurial sector as a change agent leading a rapidly growing organization or initiative.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and a proven ability to build community around a cause or initiative.
- Strong leadership skills, including excellent interpersonal, communication, and financial management skills.
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders up, down, and across organizations.
- Able to engage philanthropic, corporate, and government decision-makers; experience as a successful fundraiser is preferred but not required.
Please email resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: President, Birmingham Bound.